Lasaniya means garlicky or garlic flavoured and batata/bataka means potatoes in Spanish, Hebrew, Portuguese and Gujarati. Hence the name — Lasaniya Batata. Lasaniya Batata/Bataka hails from Kathiyawad, Saurashtra region of Gujarat, India.
- Baby Potatoes – 20 pieces - Buy Now
- Oil – ½ bowl - Buy Now
- Garlic – 14 to 15 cloves - Buy Now
- Chopped tomato – 1 cup - Buy Now
- Red whole dry chili – 4 to 5 - Buy Now
- Ginger – ½ inch - Buy Now
- Cumin seed – 1 tsp - Buy Now
- Bay leaf – 1 - Buy Now
- Chopped onion – ½ cup - Buy Now
- Asafoetida – a pinch - Buy Now
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp - Buy Now
- Kashmiri red chili powder – 1 ½ tsp - Buy Now
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp - Buy Now
- Cumin powder – ½ tsp - Buy Now
- Chat masala – ¼ tsp - Buy Now
- Chopped coriander leaves – ½ cup - Buy Now
- Salt – as per your taste - Buy Now
- Water – ½ cup
Step-1: Soak 4 to 5 red dry whole chilies in hot water for 20 to 30 minutes and keep them aside.
Step-2: Pressure cook baby potatoes and peel them. After that, prick potatoes with a toothpick or fork and keep them aside.
Step-3: Take a small grinder, add soaked red chilies, 1 cup of chopped tomatoes, ½-inch ginger, 14 to 15 garlic cloves, water as required and make fine paste.
Step-4: Heat 3 tbsp. oil in a frying pan. Add boiled, peeled potatoes and cook them from both the sides till they become golden brown.
Step-5: Remove potatoes from heat and keep them aside.
Step-6: In the same pan, add 1 bay leaf, 1 tsp cumin seeds, a pinch of asafoetida, ½ cup of chopped onions and cook till onions become transparent.
Step-7: Now add ½ tsp. turmeric powder, 1 ½ tsp red chili powder, 1 tsp coriander powder, ½ tsp cumin powder and mix them well.
Step-8: Add Tomato paste we have made and stir well. Cook this mixture for 4 to 5 minutes on low flame.
Step-9: Add ½ cup of water, fried potatoes, ¼ tsp chat masala, salt as per your taste and mix well.
Step-10: Cover the pan and cook for another 6 to 7 minutes on low to medium flame.
Step-11: Lasaniya Bataka is ready to serve. Garnish it with chopped coriander leaves while serving.